Runes, bindrunes & galdrar

PsychicSidekick

Runes, bindrunes & galdrar

Post by PsychicSidekick »

I’m starting this thread, because since my little trip to that island with the bunker, I’ve realized it will be necessary.

I found some stuff. Underneath the stones in the entrance, there was a box (metal, for pipe tobacco I think). And in the box was a bunch of torn, water-damaged pages. Paintings (some of them dreams, I think. And some are bindrunes, perhaps galdrar?), and a few texts written in runes; mostly cipher. I recognized the style all too well.

These were made by Bella. My friend who got killed. Her note- and sketch books were among the stuff that disappeared from her place right after she died.

As you can imagine this has been a bit emotional for me. I needed a breather. Haven’t done much these past days, except pull ups and drinking. And yes, I know it was probably stupid bringing the pages with me, but I just couldn’t leave them there, with….I don’t know, her fucking killer? Or atleast someone who stole from her. Or didn't return her things to us, her friends and family. I just couldn’t. Fuck them, whoever they are.
Attachments
bellas0.jpg
bellas0.jpg (32.06 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
bellas2.jpg
bellas2.jpg (17.93 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
Cian
Keeper

Re: Runes, bindrunes & galdrar

Post by Cian »

Firstly, my sincere condolences for the loss of your friend. Also, I am sorry what you had to go through.
However, a practical question - would it be possible to see all of these pictures in a bigger version? Since there might be something significant there.
"Small gods retreat to the only place remaining - the dreaming human mind." [M.Ostling]
PsychicSidekick

Thank you, I appreciate that.

I can upload a few but not all of them. It doesn't feel right to share the ones with text just yet, before I know what they actually say. It could be personal, I hope you understand.

Anyways, I'll post close ups of some of them asap.
Cian
Keeper

Post by Cian »

Ofc.
It was the pictures without text I personally was more interested in anyhow. Take your time to process, we can and will wait.
"Small gods retreat to the only place remaining - the dreaming human mind." [M.Ostling]
PsychicSidekick

Here are a few close-ups.

bellas4 are paintings of dreams, I believe. She said she dreamt a lot about water and descending.
bellas5/6 are obviously bindrunes. I do recognize. That particular bindrune was used during that ritual the night she died. It was actually painted on me, on my chest, with blood.
bellas3 - I don't really know. But there are runes on those paintings as well, when (if) I manage to crack the cipher, perhaps the paintings will be more meaningful (however, of course I do notice the raven theme here).

I've also been contemplating the location I found these things at, and the other stuff I saw there. Whether the person who drew those sigils are the same person who hid Bella's stuff. In that case, we are dealing with someone with an interest in both Enochian and Norse magic, whatever that might indicate. Also - I'm interested in why they chose a bunker in particular. Sure, it's remote etc, but could there be some other kind of meaning?

And what kind of connection the person who hid Bella's stuff has to her death. I'm trying to stay as objective as I can here. All possible connections I can think of so far are of course pure speculation, except for one - that these events actually are connected.
Attachments
bellas6.jpg
bellas6.jpg (17.66 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
bellas5.jpg
bellas5.jpg (17.93 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
bellas4.jpg
bellas4.jpg (33.8 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
bellas3.jpg
bellas3.jpg (31.93 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
PsychicSidekick

I've been trying to decipher and interpret the texts. One mentions a researcher/grad student and a völva (norse shaman, sort of) that should live, or have been active, around here somewhere.

A few of the texts are so damaged they are hard to read. The only thing I have so far:

Alex is our soldier
The thirteenth is for them
PsychicSidekick

So, I’ve finally managed to decipher one of Bella’s texts that I found in the bunker. However, I think I need to start by quoting Hávamál, stanza 158, in two different versions in English, and then the original old norse - you’ll understand why (this text feels so odd to me in English, probably would in any other than a Scandinavian language, but anywho):

English version 1:
I know a thirteenth
if I throw a cup of water over a warrior,
He shall not fall in the fiercest battle,
Nor sink beneath the sword

English version 2:
A thirteenth I know: if the new-born son
of a warrior, I sprinkle with water,
that youth will not fail when he fares to war,
never slain shall he bow before sword

Original:
Þat kann ek it þrettánda
ef ek skal þegn ungan verpa vatni á,
mun-at hann falla, þótt hann í folk komi,
hnígr-a sá halr fyr hjörum

And then Bella’s text:

There seems to have been some conflict among scholars regarding the thirteenth. Some translations paint this galdr as some sort of naming ceremony or blessing of a child. Others as a blessing of a grown warrior right before battle. I chose to believe the latter. The word "þegn" (thegn), related to the English word "thane", indicates a relatively grown man. Elena* argues this as well, and because of her insight regarding The Apocryphal Edda, I am convinced.

*I can not make out this Elena’s last name - the paper is too water damaged - but I believe this is the scholar Bella refers to here and there. She (I presume) is or has been active at Stockholm and/or Karlstad University in Sweden, and she’s probably heavily into this stuff. Does the name ring any bells for anyone?

So, as I mentioned earlier, referencing my presentation post and others. The night Bella died we had done some sort of Norse ritual where Bella painted runes on me and threw some water in my general direction. When I found her notes in the bunker I recognized one of the bindrunes (the page was also marked XIII; at first I thought this was a page number) - the same Bella had painted on me that night. I also managed to decipher her writings where she mentioned “the thirteenth is for [Alex]”.

It seems like Bella actually cast one of Odin’s galdrar on me that night. Or what she thought was one of Odin’s galdrar. She at least intended to bless me in some way.

Where she got it, I still don’t know. Was it the real deal? Don’t know, but I know that was the starting point of my odd dreams.

During my search these past 6 months I haven’t gotten any closer to finding out anything about this grimoire (however, it seems like I possess - part of - two of the spells - or atleast what Bella thought were part of two of the spells - myself).

This Elena seems significant though.
Professor
Keeper

Post by Professor »

Well, if you have in fact been cupped with water to not fall in the fiercest battle, we may be in luck. Now is not a bad time for it!
PsychicSidekick

Professor wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:11 pm Well, if you have in fact been cupped with water to not fall in the fiercest battle, we may be in luck. Now is not a bad time for it!
Thank you for showing me a positive way of looking at this. Perhaps it's obvious for others, but this whole thing with finding Bella's stuff - and then finding out that whole ritual was a blessing for me - has been quite emotional for me. Bella was ten years younger than me. She was naïve and brilliant and I always had to make sure she ate and slept and took her meds. When she did she was a genius. When I succeded at looking after her. She was the brain and the researcher, I was muscle and logistics. And now she's dead, because I failed to protect her. The last thing she did in this life was blessing me so I would be able to protect her in the coming storm, and I failed.
Ari.The.Aries

Post by Ari.The.Aries »

PsychicSidekick wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:02 pm
Professor wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:11 pm Well, if you have in fact been cupped with water to not fall in the fiercest battle, we may be in luck. Now is not a bad time for it!
Thank you for showing me a positive way of looking at this. Perhaps it's obvious for others, but this whole thing with finding Bella's stuff - and then finding out that whole ritual was a blessing for me - has been quite emotional for me. Bella was ten years younger than me. She was naïve and brilliant and I always had to make sure she ate and slept and took her meds. When she did she was a genius. When I succeded at looking after her. She was the brain and the researcher, I was muscle and logistics. And now she's dead, because I failed to protect her. The last thing she did in this life was blessing me so I would be able to protect her in the coming storm, and I failed.
What, no PsychicSidekick, don't say that. If I understood the story correctly there's nothing you could have done, right? Don't think like that! <3